22
Jan
09

Think before you speak

I hear people, from the President down to Johnny Lunchmeat, say things in discussions of politics that make me realize that many people, unfortunately, don’t fully comprehend the concept of true freedom.

Many people throw “freedom and democracy” around like the two concepts are the same and interchangeable. Sorry, but they are NOT, and I cringe every time I hear someone use them together.

Democracy is rule by majority–and if you are ruled by someone else, or a group of people, you are not free.

If 51% of the population can tell the other 49% of the population exactly how they can live, work, eat, speak, travel, love, etc. that is NOT freedom; that’s gang warfare, as far as I’m concerned.

Lysander Spooner summed it up, nicely:

“The principle that the majority have a right to rule the minority, practically resolves all government into a mere contest between two bodies of men, as to which of them shall be masters, and which of them slaves; a contest, that–however bloody–can, in the nature of things, never be finally closed, so long as man refuses to be a slave.”

Personally, I refuse to be a slave and will continue my quest to educate and enlighten, hoping that lightbulbs will one day flicker on in the minds of the People and they will realize that changes need to be made in how we treat each other.

Until that day comes, remember this:

“You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man’s freedom.” – Clarence Darrow

Advertisements

1 Response to “Think before you speak”


  1. January 23, 2009 at 2:37 AM

    Thanks for inviting me to view your blog. I like what you have to say, and the way you are saying it. Keep up the good work.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: